Wednesday, July 5, 2017

A bullion knot journey


On the 10th of May 2015 I photographed my first series of bullion knots on paper, in this case a paper plate.  At that moment I followed a design class from Karen Ruane and I wanted to challenge myself. Still remember being oh so nervous to rip the paper but strangely enough it didn't. This fact was a huge encouragement to keep trying, it became one of the main features of my first exhibition with lots of plates with knots. 


After the exhibition it was time to create some new work. Didn't have a plan and so I decided to create a ledger or two simply to gather information and to find a new spark. The Outlander ledger and the ledger of inspiration came to live with me but I missed playing with the bullion knots. To remedy that the bullion knot ledger That's wrap was created. I thought this would be enough to satisfy my bullion-knot-neediness and a new project A shirt of memories was started. I'm still working on it and no worries this one will be finished but my love for doing bullion knots on paper needed another feed. 


Two weeks ago I got a new idea had to make a sample and I loved it. Which is ofcourse wonderful but not when you're working on a project that hasn't a lot of bullion knots. So last friday I simply had to make a start with a new bullion knot project. It is big. How big? well the paper is A3 and when finished it will be largely filled. 


Here you can see the result of my flying start of this weekend, 8 legs created with bullion knots folded into each other. Needless to say I am over the moon. Love this process, the wrapping and carefully laying down of each knot and the magic of something new appearing in front of me. 

So what's the lession learned? Just keep playing with your favorite stitch and some magic may happen. 

What is your favorite stitch and how do you challenge yourself with it? Would love to see or hear about your ideas.

Have a grand wednesday and remember; Enjoy your stitching!

Elizabeth





No comments: