Thursday, January 21, 2016

A new bag


In 2012 I made my first bag out of scraps of jeans and it is safe to say: I worn it out. My comfy blue bag was falling to pieces and I knew a new bag was in order. Some time ago I found this placemat in the thriftstore that had a design with seeds of hope and I loved that fabric. At the time I had no idea what to do with it but I bought and kept it anyway. 

So when I was browsing through my stash to find some fabric to make my new bag off the placemat resurfaced and I decided to use it. Separated the back and front. The front was cut through the middle and became the front and back of my bag. The back of the placemat became the closing flap. The rest of the bag is made of vintage linen which was found at a fleamarket as was the red striped fabric. 

The only machine stitch is used to sew the strap and yes, for those who keep count, I broke a needle again which is why I decided to do the rest by hand. The bag is double layered to give it more body/strenght. The only thing that might not work too well but which I totally love is my decision to add the strap with bullion knots but if it falls apart I can fix it. 

So let me know what you do think of my new bag?

Enjoy your thursday.

Elizabeth

2 comments:

deanna7trees said...

those stash finds are sometimes the best. love your bag and all the inner pockets.

Maggi said...

Love the combination of the fabrics and the style of the bag.