Monday, April 13, 2015

An experiment

During Easter I found a small lightbox at a thriftshop and I'm over the moon with it. Transfering on to cloth has become so much easier.


In this experiment I used a permanent marker and a marker which disappears when the cloth becomes wet.

It really makes a lot of difference working with a lightbox because now I can make the design first on paper with pencil. When I'm happy with the result I use a black fine-liner to finish it. Then it is time to put the design on the lightbox, a piece of fabric on top and doodle happy on cloth.


It feels like a new door with enormous potential has opened itself and I'm totally looking forward to using this tool a lot.

Have a great week and thanks for stopping by.

Elizabeth



4 comments:

Maggi said...

I love my lightbox. I treated myself to one when I got tired of tracing deigns stuck to the window.

karen said...

oh a light box!! How exciting. There will be no stopping you now, you will become the ''surface design queen'' of the internet!!

Anneli/Bockfilz said...

Cool! I will have to dig out my lightbox again too!

I've often used another method lately, which I have 'invented' myself: tracing the motif on a bit of transparent plastic (plastic file or some plastic wrapping f.e.) with a permanent marker - then filling in the lines with a disappearing ink pen (or non-permanent marker if you don't mind the lines on the cloth) from the other side of the plastic and rubbing it onto the cloth before it dries up.

Of course this is only practicable when working with small motifs, but it's an easy and fast possibility when you don't have any lightbox around at the moment!

Pursuing Art... said...

Another fantastic find. I'm sure it will make your life so much easier. I don't have a lightbox either, but would be a wonderful tool. I traced my designs like Maggi taped to the window. :) Then I came up with another trick. I have a bendable, one bulb, light and I got an extension cord and put it under the glass top coffee table and it works great. Would love to get lucky and find the real deal like you though. :) Awesome Easter treat my little Easter egg! ;-)))