Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Kiefer or the Philosopher's door

A few weeks ago I saw a documentary about the painter/mixed media artist Anselm Kiefer. Strangely enough his work made a big impression on me. Why strangely? Normally I'm totally turned off by anything that has to do with war, badly spoken English and dark colours. So for me to watch the whole documentary and liking it, is something big, maybe I should say Huge.



And I couldn't help myself to make something, just as a reminder to step out of my box, well at least every now and than.


Never made any embroidery piece with burlap before. Beads on average are hard to find in my work and I never used pieces of glass which I found on the beach before. Still the meaning or message is the same; connection, how to establish and nurture it? And everything is bound together with thoughts of the beach in mind. So this it. Tell me what you think of it.

Enjoy your day.

Elizabeth

4 comments:

karen said...

I think stepping out of your box has worked for you. Is the string of beads permanently fixed? If it isn't, take a picture of this, a reminder of what it looks like outside your box.

Anneli/Bockfilz said...

Well, I very much like what you do, no matter if you're inside or outside the box ;-)!

I think you very often present fresh aspects on textile work - that's what makes it so interesting!

Maggi said...

I do think that this has worked well and I really like the shape of the piece. Thanks for the link, I've bookmarked that to watch later. He's not an artist that I have seen before.

Pursuing Art... said...

I agree with Anneli, I very much like what you do, no matter if you're inside or outside of the box. :) This is a lovely piece, E! I like the door shape and stitching you did on the burlap. The frayed jean fabric looks like the sun to me and I love how you embezzled the beach glass on the piece and the embroidery stitches too...reminds me of rain drops. The wood beads look amazing. Did you stitch them to the piece, as Karen asked? I hope so! Establishing connection and nurturing it...hmmm, establishing is not always easy. Nurturing it...well, a little kindness, some sunshine and rain would go a long way to make the flowers/ heart bloom. :)
I've written down this documentary so I can watch it later. :)