Thursday, August 7, 2014

Embroidery on paper

Some years ago Anneli sent me the most gorgeous woollen thread which she had spun. I was over the moon with these gift but I never used,  it was simply too beautiful to waste. Fortunately this week I finally found a way to honour this lovely thread.

This week I have been experimenting with embroidery on paper.


 In the picture you can see the divers texture and embellishments of the woollen thread. With my snoregaffel I made the little bumpers. The beads were an obstacle while making the bumpers but with some patience they turned out perfect.


In the picture above you can see a part of the Ægishjálmr, the nordic sign of protection. I tried to mimick the texture and colours of the bumpers by combining one thread of Gütenmann, one thread of DMC and one thread of Blomstergarn. Embroidery on paper is a bit of a hassle, still I'm pleased with this journey so far.

Elizabeth

4 comments:

Maggi said...

This is lovely. I'm glad you found something worthy of the beautiful thread.

karen said...

this is a truly stunning piece of work Elizabeth.....your precision in particular is captivating...

Anneli/Bockfilz said...

What a beautiful project! Feel truly honoured that my selfspun may be a part of this!

Pursuing Art... said...

The embroidery and thread is beautiful, E. So wonderful that you used Anneli's gift in such a lovely way. I like the bumpers you made and love that you added beads. Makes me smile. :)