Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Flettehjul


In the collage above you see a flettehjul. Sorry I have no idea what it might be called in English. This flettehjul I bought last saturday on a historical day in my hometown. It is believed that it is a Viking piece of equipement since it was found in an old Norwegian church. With this piece one can make all kinds of cords. Now I only have to think of an way to use this pieces.

Anneli, do you have any idea what the english name might be?

Have a great day my friends.

Elizabeth

7 comments:

Anneli/Bockfilz said...

No, I only know the Japanese ;-) word for it: Marudai!

Well, at least this tool looks very similar to the Marudai plaiting wheel used for the art of Kumihimo - a thousand year old technique invented by the women of the Samurai families to produce braids for garments, so I've read.

Maggi said...

According to the Bing translator it comes out as Merge Wheel. I suppose that is what it does, merges the threads together to make braids. I've seen something similar used by the Japanese as well.

julochka said...

I just saw friendship bracelet kits in the US with a version of these, but don't recall what they called them. your wooden one is great! the ones in the kit were cardboard. perhaps it's a form of tiny loom?

karen said...

I have also seen these used for the creation of Kumihimo....

Sue said...

My friend Alison calls it a caddis wheel...

Elizabeth said...

This old post from 2012 seems very popular today ... could anyone tell me why?

Thanks and nice meeting you all.

Adalia said...

Its popular today because a member of a world-wide medieval reenactment group posted it to one of our facebook pages as an example of something that could be made as gift of thanks (largesse as we call it).