Monday, December 19, 2011

Monday's music

The largest part of last week I have been listening to Irish folkmusic while I was doing the dishes. Yes, no dishwasher for me. The music took me onto memorylane, transported back to the times in the pub in my hometown, the beer, the singing on sunday afternoon but also the concert of the Dubliners. The Dubliners came to town and so I had to be there despite the fact that I thought the venue was a 'little' odd. I wasn't the only one who thought so. The Dubliners agreed wholeheartedly since they opened with the statement, This is the weirdest venue we ever played. Want to know where it was? The concert took place in a public swimmingpool and the stage was build above the pool.

The Dubliners are on the road since forever and they have an enormous collection of songs which left me with the question which song to pick. Luckily Anneli came to the rescue. Don't know if you other bloggers have the same experience but for some reason fellow-bloggers with whom I write regular like to give me nicknames. (have already a nice list!) Now the other day Anneli and I were joking around in our mails and she started to call me Dancing Queen. Nice nickname, true or not, I am a follower of the Lord of the Dance. If you read the lyrics below you know what I mean by this but first I am proud to present: The Dubliners with Lord of the Dance.



I danced in the morning when the world was young
I danced in the moon, and the stars, and the sun
I came down from Heaven and I danced on the Earth
At Bethlehem I had my birth

Dance, then, wherever you may be
I am the lord of the dance said he
And I lead you all wherever you may be
And I lead you all in the dance said he

I danced for the Pharoah and the pharisees
They wouldn't dance, they wouldn't follow me
I danced for the fishermen James and John
They came with me so the dance went on

Dance, then, wherever you may be
I am the lord of the dance said he
And I lead you all wherever you may be
And I lead you all in the dance said he

I danced on the Sabbath and I cured the lame
The holy people said it was a shame
They ripped me and they stripped me and they hung me high
Left me there on the cross to die

Dance, then, wherever you may be
I am the lord of the dance said he
And I lead you all wherever you may be
And I lead you all in the dance said he

I danced on a Friday when the world turned black
It's hard to dance with the devil on your back
They buried my body; they thought I was gone
But I am the dance, and the dance goes on

Dance, then, wherever you may be
I am the lord of the dance said he
And I lead you all wherever you may be
And I lead you all in the dance said he

 Have a perfect dancing monday.

Elizabeth

5 comments:

Susan Deborah said...

Dear Dancing Queen:

I like Irish music as well. Have a lovely week and wishing you the warmth and cheer of the season.

Joy always,
Susan

lheurebleue said...

heerlijke muziek. in 1972 zag ik de dubliners life in canada.
the wild rovers is een van mijn lievelings songs.
ik dans de week in!

Sue said...

I love "Lord of the Dance" - beautiful song. I'm glad that the joy of Christmas is already with you! xxx

Zuzana said...

Oh, the Dubliners were Patrick's favorite band.;) As you ca imagine, I got exposed to quiet a lot of Irish music through him.;)
I think Dancing Queen fits you well.;)
xoxo

Anneli/Bockfilz said...

Thank you for providing us with such lovely music, dear Dancing Queen!

And I must say I envy you: I've been to Dublin and I know 'The Dubliners' of course, but unlike you, I've never seen them live ...