Thursday, January 20, 2011

Courtship, for the love of it V


When I started this project I looked back upon the cards, loveletters and friendshiprings I got a long time ago and asked myself the question which tokens of affection were given. My good old friend Google helped me to get some answers and one of them you'll see today. 

The story I found on many sites  was that in Norway, when a girl came of age, her father let it be known that she was available for marriage. The girl would wear an empty sheath on her belt. If a suitor liked the girl, he would put a knife in the sheath, which the girl then wore as a sign that she was betrothed. Now this story may hold some truth but I'm not sure about it since not one of the many sites mentions the period when this custom was held. Still I made a sheath in my own way with some leather and wool since it tells a different kind of courtship.

Have a great day with a knowing smile.

Elizabeth

4 comments:

Zuzana said...

Love the story of the sheath - so much symbolism.;) And love your own creation.;) Have a lovely sunny winter day.;))
xoxo

karen said...

even if not a completely true story, the fact that it has passed into folklore makes it worthy of telling.

Anonymous said...

Rather glad we live in times + places now where a woman lets it be known herself when she feels available... - beautiful object anyways, + a lovely photo...

Elizabeth said...

You are absolutely right Anonymous, we are fortunate that we have the right to make our own choice.