Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Vikings & me



This 'love affair' between the vikings and me started many years ago. For years I have been visiting all kinds of burial grounds, museums, exhibitions and ofcourse done some reading. But since our last vacation in Norway and visiting the places with the helleristninger this affair is growing more and more intense. So when I saw this book I just felt a very big need to own it.




This book is recently published and written by Jan Messent. Over the years Jan Messent has written a number of books on embroidery but this one has a special place in my heart. As far as I know there is not a website or blog from Jan. If you happend to find it please let me know.












I am very happy with this book. It gives some historical insight, lots of pictures and some projects to do yourself. With all this inspiration in front of me I just want to work.

Have a lovely day.

Elizabeth

4 comments:

Zuzana said...

Oh, this book is just so you, I can sense so much of you in those pictures. How serendipitous that you found it!
Have a splendid day my dear Elizabeth, I am now off for a meeting about lab accounting, how fun is that, blaha.
;)
xoxo

Anneli/Bockfilz said...

Oh, oh, oh ... and if I have to eat knäckebröd the rest of the month, I just have to get hold on this book too ...
Thank you so much, Elizabeth, for sharing this!

Pursuing Art... said...

~Smiling~...this book has your name written all over it! I'm so glad you got it and are feeling so inspired.

Her books are beautiful, the embroidery photo is amazing and I really like the old drawings (helleristninger) in the last photo. It looks like a beautiful book for your collection and studies. Next time I go to the book store, I would love to see it in person too. ;-)

julochka said...

i'm way behind, as you can tell...but this is a MARVELOUS book!! i must find it myself!!

when are you going to venture into natural dyeing your own fibers?