Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Changing the landscape


This is the first post with the title Changing the landscape. A small embroidery piece of a helleristning on a knitted background. These boat carvings are made in rocks in the late Bronze age. They are found in Norway, Sweden and Danmark. If you like to read more about the Danish helleristninger you can click here. In the sidebar you see the word Hjortspring boat. That boat is found on my island and a small exhibition/workshop is just a few minutes away from were I live. Lucky me!!!!

Have a wonderful day.

Elizabeth









5 comments:

Zuzana said...

It is beautiful dear Elizabeth and I love the way you displayed it and arranged the picture.
Have a lovely day, it is so dark and uninviting out there...
xoxo

ewa-christine said...

Thanks for nice comments I am so pleased. Now I shall be at your place a moment and look at all your art!
Thanks again and take care!

Bee said...

Elizabeth, your helleristninger reminds me an ancient boat that we saw in a Welsh village this summer. There's something about remnants from our distant past that gives me a pleasant shiver.

Hope it is sunny in your part of Denmark today!

Anneli/Bockfilz said...

Thank you for the great link, dear Elizabeth! I found some very nice 'new' pictures and symbols there - this very early graphic art always inspire me so much - it's as if it is literally asking to be transformed into textile media ... I can see you feel the same! Love your work!

Pursuing Art... said...

Your depiction of the rock carving is beautiful...the knitting and the embroidered boat! I really enjoyed reading about the historical petroglyphs and seeing them! That they date back to the Bronze age is just fascinating, amazing really! How awesome to have that boat found on your island and to be able to see the exhibition/workshop...you are one lucky girl!!!

We have lots of petroglyphs, rock carvings, in Oregon and other states in the U.S. too. However, in Oregon, they estimate the earliest to be maybe 12,000 years old...not as old as the Bronze age period! They believe they were made by the Native Americans, but they aren't truly positive either.

I am looking forward to seeing more helleristninger in your stitching! XO ~Lisa