Friday, October 29, 2010

Changing the landscape VII


The last helleristning textile painting of this week is dedicated to the elk. For me the elk is just as much the symbol of the Vikings as the helleristninger long boats. The meaning of the elk for me is self-confidence because the vikings must have felt very confident when they started travelling all over the world in their boats. 

Thank you all for stopping by this week and listening to my interpretation of these ancient rock carvings. 

Have a fantastic weekend.

Elizabeth






4 comments:

Zuzana said...

I am really enjoying this theme, as i love the Viking history.
I agree with you on the incredible courage and perseverance these people must have possessed.
Beautiful setting again, the elk looks so in motion somehow...
Have a lovely day mu dear friend, I will be in touch by email later.;))
xoxo

karen said...

great elk but such very beautiful stones. Where do you get them? and Take That?? Listen to them all the time anyway along with my favourite, Robbie.

Anneli/Bockfilz said...

Elk or reindeer? Looks a lot like the Same carvings, but it's hard to tell if they ment elks or reindeers - both being part of their daily life, I guess ...

Anyway, I adore how they managed to 'draw' this creature with such a few lines - and how you translate it into embroidery and textile, dear Elizabeth!

julochka said...

it's wonderful! that's one of the ones i've painted on stones...but i have to say i agree with anneli that it might be a reindeer. :-) however, there isn't a red nose, so you never know. ;-)


ok, really weird, my WV word is artmenes...what does art mean?