Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Inspiration for holding your needle

Today I want to show you some work of other embroiders. When you see their work you know why I have to embroider and try master the craftmenship they display.
The first person I want you to meet is Erin Endicott. Erin has the most beautiful pieces in the serie called Healing sutra. Currently Erin participates in an embroidery exhibition called Cutting Edge which is held in the Textile Artcenter in Brooklyn, New York. The picture below is a detailpicture of her work, if you would like to see more you just click here.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9L7-fjxHuCk/TDObr3wQ5cI/AAAAAAAAIkM/j7Fsj-DdJtA/s1600/embroidery05.jpg


Another lady with beautiful application work is Janet Bolton. Her homepage you can find here.
   

 

    'Seascape', 200 x 170 mm.

The third lady of today is Jennifer Hunold. She did for a period an project called embroidery journalling. In the picture below you can see a part of that process, if you would like to know/to see more of her work click here. You can also visit the show Cutting Edge in New York.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UwEkl1xDxS0/TGQ-SrZ5JBI/AAAAAAAAIJg/7SnFR36-gmk/s1600/2009_05.jpg 

Each lady with her own unique style and craftwomanship but they are holding their needle just as you and me.
Have a fantastic day.

Elizabeth

9 comments:

Zuzana said...

That was interesting as indeed these pieces all differ so greatly from each other.;)
I hope you will have a lovely day dear Elizabeth, it seems to be a sunny one here.;)
xoxo

Amelia said...

thank you for sharing these. I love Janet Bolton, she is a big inspiration and I have had the pleasure of attending one of her weekend sewing retreats - it was AMAZING. I now have two other artists to explore (haven't heard of the other two) and such good time as I sit here stitching for my art open house.

and another thing - you won my give-away!!! I am about to email you to ask for your address so I can post it out to you :)

Amelia.x

Anneli/Bockfilz said...

Thank you for these most inspiring links, Elizabeth! Janet Bolton is also one of my very favorites, but I shall be glad to dig deeper into the work of the other ones too!
Regarding embroidery, one cannot find enough inspiration!

SE'LAH... said...

such amazing, intricate pieces.

i see the coolest things here, always.
have a divine weekend. one love.

Pursuing Art... said...

Such amazing needle work and fun to see...thank you for sharing the lovely work of these talented ladies with us! XOX

julochka said...

just holding the needle, that's really all we can ask, isn't it?

xox,
/j

Jennifer Hunold said...

Thanks Elizabeth for including my work on your blog! I'm glad you enjoyed the Daily Journaling Project. It was one of my favorites. :-)

Like Erin Endicott, I am in the Cutting Edge show in Brooklyn also. It is full of very diverse work you might enjoy. You can see images of the various works in the show on my website, under "News".

Oh, also my last name is spelled "Hunold" (on your article it is listed as Humold).

Thanks again--I look forward to visiting your site in the future! :-)

erin endicott said...

Thank you so much for including my Healing Sutras on your blog! The Cutting Edge show is a wonderfully diverse group of contemporary textile artists and I'm grateful to be a part of it!
Have a great day!
erin

karen said...

darn it!! I should have looked closer!!