Friday, August 13, 2010

Inspiration from Norway I


 
While we were in Norway we visited two places with helleristninger, stonecarvings made more than 2000 years ago. Some of you know already about my interest in helleristninger and that I love to re-create them. This particular one is made on a rock in Farsund Kommune.


 
Now that I am already back from vacation a few weeks it is time to sit down and do something with all the inspiration I have taken home with me. My first project is a little scarf. I bought the Viking babywool in the most beautiful shop in Kvernaland, Norway. The wool is very soft which means this scarf is really wonderful to wear.


 
As you can see the scarf is made from granny-blocks. This time I didn't sew them together like last time but I crocheted the blocks together. In the detailed picture you can see how I embroidered  with a chain-stitch my helleristning on the last block of each side. 

Hope you like it. Have the most beautiful day.
Elizabeth




5 comments:

julochka said...

i'm so jealous that you saw some of the real helleristninger. :-) your interpretation of them is lovely.

ger said...

I can quite understand your interest in the hs - they seem to speak of voyage + opportunities...

karen said...

I love the scarf and especially the way you have added your own special motif.

Anneli/Bockfilz said...

Oh, I do certainly share your love of helleristningar...! This is a very 'graphic' one, get's me inspired as well!

Maybe we have a cold winter before us - I'm working on some scarves already, too! And sweaters!

Still, I hope you'll enjoy some warm summer days, still!

spudballoo said...

Oh how clever you are! Gorgeous. My arm is finally better and I'm crocheting again, just finished a baby blanket for a friend. I'm happy to be hooking again! x