Monday, June 28, 2010

Magnificent windows III

Throw open your window and let the scenery of clouds and sky enter your room! 
Yosa Buson

In the update of magnificent windows I already said that the ideas behind this project were fallen together in a lovely way. Maybe you notice something similiar in your life but every time I announce that things are working out really nicely and obstacle arises. This time it meant a large part of the embroidery had to be done again and I couldn't find a frame. Both obstacles are removed. This means this week is dedicated to magnificent windows.




This is the oldest picture that I found of the building of which I made a drawing on cloth. In 1887 the brothers Oppenheimer opened the first wholesale provisions warehouse in Vancouver.


This picture is from 1898

The Oppenheimers were a prominent family. The brothers were born in Germany. After the California gold rush they supplied goods to prospectors moving North to the Fraser River and Cariboo gold rush. David Oppenheimer was often called the ‘father’ of Vancouver. He served as Mayor of the city from 1888 to 1891 and he served as the first president of the Vancouver Board of Trade in 1887.

The  magnificent windowstory will continue tomorrow but before I say goodbye, I hope you will click here and listen to Steamy windows of Tina Turner because this project is also about music.


Have a lovely day.

Elizabeth

4 comments:

Zuzana said...

Oh, steamy widows, yes indeed.;)
I am on my lunch brake while visiting you today dear Elizabeth. I got up early today (was awaken bright and early by painters that are painting my house outside, urgh).
Love the sentiments in this post as they are so true.
Hope you are enjoying another sumer day; I wish I did not have to work but only tomorrow left and then vacation.;))
xoxo

Anneli/Bockfilz said...

It's hot now again, and I love keeping the windows open all day long - and the roof windows even at night. Yesterday the moon light was flooding the room when I went asleep - that feels very special. Almost no mosquitos yet - they usually don't come before late August/early September.
Keeping the windows open day and night almost feels like living outside, though still being sheltered by the house!
It's the last week for the kids at school now, then there are summer holidays!

B said...

Such an interesting project! I'm sure there must have been a reason for that obstacle, just keep going! We're also keeping all the windows open here because of the heat, I love it!

Pursuing Art... said...

Oh dear, E, don't give up! I told you how obstacles have gotten in my way too with my big project! You will have learned something and will find that frame!

Love the photo and story behind your drawing on cloth! And, as I write you...I am enjoying the windows and door open with blue sky and birds singing. Enjoying Steamy Windows right now too! Thank you! ;-)