Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The girl-effect

Some weeks ago I read at Alabama Chanin journal a post about the girl-effect. It struck me how simple sometimes a solution can be. Education for everyone, an answer that already can make a huge difference in this world.




Some of you know that I feel strongely about reading and learning kids to read. Each week I walk into a classroom and I listen to kids when they are reading to me. Why? Because at times parents don't have the time or the patience to sit down and do it. Learning to read means practice, nothing more, nothing less. I am happy to give away my time to children because without the skill of reading the chance of a good future isn't possible in our society. Our society depends on reading and the number of kids that can't read when they leave school is growing rapidly in the western world. Helping each kid, each week is my contribution. The future has started, let is be a bright one.

Have a lovely day.

Elizabeth

4 comments:

Amelia said...

oh you are right - this is a beautiful sentiment. A slightly different reason maybe but similar as to why I love running art and creativity workshops with people - somehow I always feel it hones the skill to be able to help create a life each of us desires . . . . I will listen to my son read carefully tonight!

Amelia.x

Anneli/Bockfilz said...

That's a really great thing to do, Elizabeth. I feel similarly, and that's one of the reasons why I'm working voluntarily in our village (school) library ... Being able to read - and loving it - is the key to so many qualities in life ...

julochka said...

i told a bunch of people about this on FB! what an awesome organization!

Pursuing Art... said...

Helping a child learn to read, is a gift that will last a lifetime!!! It should be a partnership that begins at home and continues at child care and in school.

You are an absolute sweetheart to give your time to other children, Elizabeth!!! You are helping to change a life, my friend!!! XOXO