Monday, November 23, 2009

Book of Worlds

The idea for my next project I got last summer when I found the magazines Classic Rock, Kerrang, Guitar and Q in a thrift-shop. While reading them I realized in what a totally different world these musicians live in. Since I am in the mood to create another book I have been thinking about this subject. My conclusion is that almost every profession has it's own set of rules. I know, it isn't a big revelation, on the other hand it is an explanation why a lot of people stick to one profession. It takes a lot of trial and error if you want to shift to a totally different line of work. Not only do you need to learn a new trade but it takes awhile before you are aware about the unwritten rules of it.




For this project I use totally different materials than I'm used to. I chose woollen thread, jute and leather, in a way to create the same experience as if I'm learning a new trade.

The photo below shows the title page.



Since finishing Soul Food, which felt kind of sad, I needed some different music to shift my mood. Had no idea but than I stumbled upon Bryan Adams and I have to admit my heart of music has fallen in love. Before I just knew one song of him, The summer of 69, that isn't much when you realize the man made 16 albums over the last 32 years. So to express this new found love I decided to post each day of this project a song of Bryan. This is the first one with the Who and it is called Behind blue eyes.

Have a wonderful monday.

Elizabeth

8 comments:

Protege said...

I love music and what a wonderful project; I am so looking forward to follow it.;)
You are so right about the trade, it is not easy to shift jobs, although how funny it is that we often find ourselves in the middle of our life longing to do just that; shift the gear into a completely new direction.;)
Have a lovely Monday too,
xo
Zuzana

julochka said...

oh, where did you get those lovely little skeins of wool?

i can't wait to see how you're going to incorporate leather, that should be really interesting. and i'm already wondering where you got it? are you recycling it from an old purse or did you find some in a craft or fabric store?

Sara Lechner said...

thank you for your link. I loved it!!

B said...

So curious and excited about your new project! And of course books are one of my favourite things!

Shell said...

I have been a fan of Bryan for ages. I look forward to the new posts.

Pursuing Art... said...

Oh, this is great Elizabeth! Perfect project for you...I was hoping you'd do something with your love of music!

Totally true about people sticking to one profession. It takes time to shift gears and learn a new trade.

Glad you are trying new materials too, as if you are learning a new trade! It's always good to push ourselves to try something new and see if we like it.

Love this song...love Bryan Adams! So glad you stumbled onto more of his music!! Awesome! ;-)

Pursuing Art... said...

P.S. Oops, got so excited that I forgot to say that the title page looks great!!

Pursuing Art... said...

P.S.S. Okay, I'm back...it just truly sunk in that the book isn't about music!...lol!...
H-E-L-L-O...Lisa!!!

But I am loving that you are sharing music with your Book of Worlds!!...think I must be tired!

One day, E, I can imagine you doing something with music! Do you know that I almost did my BJP on some of my favorite songs last year! It would still be a great theme...but difficult to bead one per month! Anyhoo...I'm flowing again now! ;-)