Monday, June 22, 2009

Soul Food (part 18)



The journey of this symbol started long ago. I think I was around eight years old when I decided that I wanted to have a very long life, a very deep felt intention which I still have. When I was nineteen I met for the first time age-discrimination, I was told that I was too old for a part-time job and had not enough experience, huh. It felt totally ridiculous too me. Somehow I met this behaviour often and that made/makes me rebellious.

Recently I have been thinking a lot about age again because first my friend turned forty. (Polly and Julie, thanks again for your help, she loved her gift.) And just last week B turned thirty with all of her own feelings about this special birthday.

So I drew a path that walks to the horizon. The media is feeding us that the youth has the future. Is this true? Not to me, everybody has a future until they die. Culturally we stereotype 'old people' as bagage, it does have a negative sound to say the least. But who decides when you are old? Who puts limits on life because of age? We are. Do you want too? I don't.

When you look at the drawing it looks like the path gets smaller, that's an optical illusion. The road doesn't get narrower. Life is stilling giving you as many options as ever. Different ones, that's not because we are old but because we have already so much experience.

How do I beat this cultural sniper? By giving myself something new. New can be something very small or just turn everything upside down. Of course there will always be people who make remarks and this will give a nice discussion.

Luckily I'm not the only one who is trying to beat this troll. Liz from Fragrant Muse gave some really good examples. Julie from Moments of perfect clarity had her own discovery of growth recently. Than there is Mary of Beauty amongst the weeds who cleared her path to become a better photographer. One more for the road. Julie from It's just jules with a post which gives everybody a kick in the butt. Now I'm pretty sure that there are many more examples, I would love to read them too. So if you have one let me know. Have an idea, I start a collection for those rainy days.

Have fun today!!!

Elizabeth

4 comments:

B said...

I'm starting to get over turning 30. It's really silly how it really got me, but nothing it's changed, my life continues as it was. I'm proud of what I've achieved so far and looking forward to many new things. It's never too late. Thanks for reminding me!

julochka said...

i keep thinking that 40 is the new 30 - because it's all what you make of it, isn't it? and i certainly wouldn't want to go back and do it all again! ;-) not without knowing what i know now anyway!!

very interesting food for thought in this post. thank you!

Pursuing Art... said...

I love the symbol and the post! You are exactly right...everybody has a future until they die!! And who puts limits on life because of age...we do...our government does too. No, I don't want to have any limits on life because of my age. I also think that age is a matter of attitude and with age comes wisdom! Just like when you were young and wanting a job and being told you were too old for a part-time job and didn't have enough experience. That's ridiculous...we are never too old and how do you get experience if someone doesn't hire you and teach you?! I just flip out over comments like that! Some kids even graduate from college and are looking for their first job and are told they don't have any experience...well, hello!
How are they going to get any if somebody doesn't hire them?

Every day is a new day and it doesn't matter how old we are...we do have many choices and with age we have more experience and are wiser. I have deep respect for all people and living creatures and don't judge or discriminate.

Same with the media hype about women and their bodies and all we should do to look younger or how society believes we should look...I don't agree with that either. I am a pretty naturale type of girl anyway and always have been...but I find beauty in the smiling lines around the eyes and wrinkles that we get and our wrinkled and leathered hands...they show me how much life someone has lived, the smiles that they've had and how many things those hands have done in their life time.

Our bodies may change as we get older, but we don't...we just get wiser. I think as long as you have love in your heart and are still learning and discovering life...it doesn't matter what age you are!

Hugs...~Lisa

Pursuing Art... said...

P.S. Sorry...I think that's the longest post I've ever made! ~wink~