Thursday, April 23, 2009

Symbol



For some time now I have been wanting to make a symbol for longing. Because some questions are living inside my head which I cannot answer. What is longing? Where does it come from? And most of all why is it a bittersweet emotion. Have been browsing the net but I couldn't find something that forfilled my need. So I made a sketch and this is the explanation I read in it. The core is a part of the soul. All our experiences makes our soul move and is giving bulges and these bulges are given us the emotions.

Do you have another explanation or symbol? Please, let me know. I just want to sort this out somehow.




I couldn't resist the temptation to embroider the sketch and it had to be in blue of course.

Leave you today with the wish that you will get the day you always longed for. Have a great day!!!

6 comments:

julochka said...

longing is an interesting emotion and one that's very hard to grasp. i find your drawing and embroidery interesting, but will have to further ponder what symbol i would use...hmm.

Mary said...

Longing for me would be standing with my arms wide open waiting to embrace whatever I am so needing that I am LONGING for it.

Mal* said...

It's funny -- I've been journaling a lot about "longing" this week, too! I love your symbol -- it's very much something I have encouraged clients to do in my therapy work. I love that it just makes perfect "sense" to you, while leaving us a little bit in the dark. Just like a good symbol should! I think longing is bittersweet because whatever it is we are longing for MUST be positive, or we wouldn't want it. Yet, we don't have it. Bittersweet.

Anneli/Bockfilz said...

I wouldn't know what symbol to put for longing - but it has the same urge in my soul like thirst in my body. Sometimes I feel such an intense longing - yet don't know for what, actually.
Standing at the shore of a wild sea (like in Ireland, f.e.) soothes that feeling - so maybe it's the water that's lacking there, too ...

Pursuing Art... said...

Oh, dear...first, I'm sorry that you are feeling this emotion and hope you will find your answers and peace! I think the symbol you drew and embroidered is a lovely way to express it. Like a tree there is a core (soul) and all the layers and bulges are our feelings and emotions.

To me, longing is desire, wanting/needing something we don't have or it's the pain you feel when grieving for something you've lost. Maybe it is about loss you haven't grieved. I think longing comes from the heart and soul. Bittersweet perhaps because love doesn't hurt or cause pain, only loss hurts and causes pain.

The only symbol I can think of would be a heart (whole or broken) or open arms. I hope maybe this may help.

Sending you a heartfelt hug...~Lisa

freebird said...

I feel longing inside my chest. It feels like a pressure trying to escape. The only way to let it out so far has been to write a poem which I am not good at doing so it doesn't always work. Since I do many different visual kinds of art you would think I could express my longing that way but no, it doesn't work.