Thursday, January 17, 2019


The last few days I've been thinking about how I got started with Soul Food. And so my Babel was loved once more. Babel is the book Jim Houser put together with pictures of his work along with an interview. It is almost 10 years now that this journey begun and in a few months I will have an exhibition called Soul Food. The world, the people visiting, get to see how I got a voice by accepting the challenge. The challenge was to tell my own stories, in my own manner and see how it touched others. Soul Food was really good at that.

This piece of cloth is very special because I used it washing my babies faces. Now they are planning to move out and so it was time to make something special. The quote is on one of the paintings of Jim:
"This stays with you every simple second, quiet and quick like touches."

The love for my kids will always be there and so will be my stories on Soul Food.

And if you're wondering why this heap of threads? Well, I don't keep my threads in an orderly fashion. These threads were left in a plastic bag after I finished Soul Food. Now I used a few of them to write these words and that makes me feel so happy ... :-)



Monday, January 7, 2019

Crazy quilt

Mid October I told you about the first block for my crazy quilt. Haven't made any report about it since but I kept on stitching. Today I made a big step forward, 20 blocks were sewed together. This was my first time of doing this and I had postponed the inevitable already a few times, it was simply time to bite the bullet. Now that I got it done without breaking a needle, still with a lot of snapping thread, I'm so proud. Not because it is the most special or original quilt but because I didn't give up.

One hurray for each step forward.

Have a fabulous week!


Tuesday, January 1, 2019


Let me start by wishing you the most beautiful, peaceful and creative 2019. 

The start of a new year always inspires to make plans for most people and I joined most people for a change. So what are the plans. Well at the end of the month a new ledger class starts which, to me, is very exciting. Decided to make three ledgers, maybe I should add at least because I started already with no. 1. 

Ledger no. 1 is called Vintage. Last summer I found a stack of old ledgers and notebooks, all dating from around 1850. At the point my isle wasn't a Danish isle but a German isle and therefore the official ledger is printed in German. 

In the picture you can see my first page. The word Vintage in partial lettering with a strip of paper on top. The stitches used are running stitch and buttonhole stitch. Working on these pages takes longer than working with my usual paper because I have to find out the strenght of the paper and it is a bound ledger which means a lot of moving around with it to get the work done. Don't mind because I have a whole year to finish it ... :-))

The other two ledgers are still only notes jotted down and some inspirational photographs. So you have to wait a little while for some pictures. Besides all of this there is still the work for the Easter exhibition to finish.

Time to get started because there is lots to do! ... Yeah!!!!

Enjoy yourself.


Sunday, December 16, 2018

Some pretty pictures

Just like a lot of other people Christmas preparations are getting the better of me. Still every now and than I lay a bullion knot on paper which is meant to become a cover for a small booklet, some day.

Enjoy your adventperiod.


Sunday, December 2, 2018

Fun with paper part 2

The last few days I worked on these pieces. The ideas behind them are similar as in the previous post. The piece in the photograph above is called: The need to keep telling old stories. The one below: Bound by memories.

The written part wasn't done by me. I found some old notebooks at a fleamarket during the summer and used two pages of them. They are truly old notebooks, the oldest date I found was 1846, the texts are difficult to read but that doesn't matter. 

One last detailpicture to show you how I emphasized bound. 

Have a fabulous start of your week. See you soon again.


Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Fun with paper

For the longest times I'm interested in how people meet, where people meet and how they share their story. I find that totally fascinating. Therefore I decided to spend some more time with this topic again. In the collage above meeting points were on my mind.

In this picture it is about meeting place between two people and the creation of their space.

The last two photographs are about equality and the difficulties in that when it comes to sharing stories. 

All the pieces are made with the same white paper. The differences in colour are because of the light at the moment they were taken. My apologies for that. The inspiration to create these pieces like this are taken from the work of Barbara Hepworth and Ben Nicholson. If you like to know more about them and their art, here is a link.

Have a wonderful day.


Saturday, November 24, 2018

Two ladies and the sun, the final post

In the picture above you can see the result after the two layers of the Bayeux stitch are done. Only the stemstitch all around as a finish touch is missing. 

After I finished the stemstitch part, some smaller helleristninger, rock carvings were added. The piece is signed in elder futhark, which felt more appropriate. 

This project was one that remained on my list of things I wanted to make and now I did. I learned that it is very possible to do large areas in Bayeux stitch. Besides this was also the first time I embroidered  on cloth with crochet yarn and it works fine on linen.

Now I'm gonna dive in some paperwork again, love to work with paper. Wish there were more hours in a day, so I could do more .. :-)

Enjoy your weekend!